We love Mexican food and am trying my hand at making burrito bowls. I have to admit the name throws me a little because burrito’s are wraps filled with Mexican foodie goodness and using a bowl instead in my mind means the burrito is left at the back door but let’s go with it.
I provided my family with a base bowl of white rice and then served up a selection of toppings for them to choose and build their bowl as they wished. I served this on Meat-free Monday so have vegetarian options but you can serve this with any Mexican meat/fish dish you like, very similar to the Hawaiian Poke bowls.
- 1 cup White rice
- 2 cups Water
- Sea Salt
- 2 Limes
- Fresh cilantro
- 425g Black beans
- Garlic powder
- Ground cumin
- Chilli powder
- Grade seed oil
- 1 x Green bell pepper
- 1 x Red onion
- 150g Sweetcorn
- 50g Tomatoes – chopped
- 1 Jalapeño
- 1 Ripe avocado
- Cook your rice as per the instructions on the packet.
- While the rice is cooking put the black beans into a small pan over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add the garlic powder, cumin and chilli powder and stir. Reduce the heat to low to keep warm until serving.
- Next prepare the peppers and onions. Heat a large skillet over a medium heat, once hot add the grape seed oil, bell pepper, onion, salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently or until tender and slightly browned, set aside .
- To make the corn salsa add the sweetcorn, the chopped tomatoes, the chopped jalapeño, 1/2 a red onion chopped, the juice from 1/2 a lime and 1 tablespoon of cilantro and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper then stir together and set aside.
- Next we will prepare some guacamole. De-stone the avocado and scoop out the flesh into a bowl and add the juice of 1/2 a lime and some salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of chopped cilantro. Using a fork mash the ingredients together.
- Once the rice has finished cooking remove from the heat and add the salt, juice from 1/2 a lime and 2 tablespoons of cilantro and combine.
- To serve, scoop the rice into the swerving bowl and top with beans, peppers and onions, corn salsa, guacamole and any of your favourite Mexican dishes. I also make sure I have some chipotle sauce close to hand and tortilla chips on the side.